Without a doubt, the tranquility and rest of a person depends on his heart and his body reassures such fact while his heart finds tranquility and rest in the remembrance of Allah (SWT). Allah (SWT) says:
“Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest.” (Ar-Rad 13:28).
In the Dhikr and remembrance of Allah (SWT) the heart of a Muslim find comfort on the side of Allah, become tranquil when He is remembered and pleased to have Him as his Protector and Supporter and surely, He is worthy of it.
Allah’s concern with His slave is according to his trust and belief in Him. If the slave believes that He will treat him with His favors, he will find Allah Most Merciful and Most kind. Therefore one should always aspire favorable expectations and remember Him with His beautiful Names and Attributes all the time.
Dhikr of Allah is an act of Worship
Remembering Allah (SWT) is one of the best acts of worship, it is strongly recommended by Allah (SWT) and His beloved Prophet (PBUH) and the teachings of Islam urge us to carry out such virtuous deed. Allah (SWT) says:
“Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying, etc.). I will remember you, and be grateful to Me (for My countless Favours on you) and never be ungrateful to Me.” (Al-Baqarah 2:152).
And the Prophet (PBUH) said:
“Allah, the Most High said: ‘I am as My slave of Me, and I am with him when he remembers Me. If he remembers Me to himself, I remember him to Myself, and if he remembers Me in a gathering, I remember him in a gathering better than that. And if he seeks to draw nearer to Me by a hand span, I draw nearer to him by a forearm’s length, and if he comes to Me by a forearm’s length, I draw nearer to him by an arm’s length. And if he comes to Me walking, I come to him quickly.’”(Al-Bukhari 7405).
Those who remember Allah (SWT) will draw closer to Him, receive His countless and everlasting Mercy, Favors and bounties, the angels will pray for their forgiveness. Therefore, the blessed ones are those who will draw nearer to their Lord and the wicked ones are those will keep away from remembering Him.
One can remember Allah (SWT) in his heart and by his tongue but remembering Him both in heart and by tongue simultaneously, is the best way of His remembrance. This remembrance should be with good intention and for the sake of Allah (SWT).
8 benefits of Dhikr Allah (SWT)
Among the many benefits of this virtuous act of worship are the following:
- Remembering Allah (SWT) expels the Devil, weakens his plots and removes his whisperings from the heart of a Muslim.
- In the remembering Allah (SWT) lies His satisfaction.
- It wipes out the worries and sadness from one’s heart.
- Remembering Allah (SWT) eases the way of achieving daily livelihood.
- It brings dignity, delightfulness and radiance to the life of a Muslim.
- It causes the love of Allah (SWT), which is the spirit of Islam and the leading ethics of the religion, the basic of happiness and salvation. Allah (SWT) has made for everything a reason and the main reason for obtaining His love is to remember Him continuously. Those who desire to gain such love should remember Him forever.
- Allah (SWT) remembers those who remember Him. As he mention in His Holy Book: “Therefore remember Me (by praying, glorifying, etc.). I will remember you,”(Al-Baqarah 2:152). Such prestige and dignity is enough for a Muslim to be proud of and it shows the greatness of this act.
- Those who remember Allah (SWT) sakinah (the feelings of calmness, tranquility and happiness) will descend on their heart.
In short, remembering Allah (SWT) is one of the virtuous acts of worship through which one can achieve tranquility, rest and peace of mind and heart. It is not possible for everyone to do voluntary worship regularly, so a companion of the Prophet (PBUH) asked an easy alternate that could bring him better reward.
The beloved Prophet (PBUH) advised him to remember and praise Allah (SWT) all the time because it is easy and possible to do while doing anything.
Read Darussalam’s best selling eBook “Fortress of the Muslim” for dhikr Allah. It is collection of most authentic supplications which you may recite in your daily routines and events.