Why Did God Create the World?
This world and its contents (earth, vegetation, rivers, animals, sky, rain etc.) are created by God to serve mankind. As elucidated in the Qur’an (6:97; 14:32-33).
However all these blessings come with responsibility, hence mankind must:
- Recognize these blessings
- Utilize these blessings according to laws of God.
Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “The world is beautiful and green and Allah has made you governor over it to see how you will act.”
This indicates that humans are not free to do with the world as they please. Therefore, to destroy nature for material gains is contrary to God’s revelation.
MANKIND’S RESPONSIBILITY TOWARDS ANIMALS:
- Caring for animals is also very important in Divine Law. People asked the Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him), “O Messenger of Allah! Do we get a reward for saving animals?” He replied: “In (saving of) every living being, there is a reward.”
- Killing any living animal for fun or sport is prohibited unless it is for food, for protection of human life, or for clothing.
- For slaughtering animals, sharpened knives should be used as it is less painful than electric shock or a blow to the animal’s head.
- Allah forgave a prostitute for giving water to a thirsty dog and conversely, a woman was punished for imprisoning a cat and not feeding it.
- Sometimes, it is necessary to inflict pain on animals, such as hitting animals to move them and for branding them for identification, however, even in these situations, we are prohibited to hit or brand on their faces.
MANKIND’S RESPONSIBILITY TOWARDS VEGETATION:
- Humans are responsible for the vegetable kingdom – so much so that during war Muslims are forbidden to destroy fruit trees.
- Planting trees is an act of charity – Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said: “Any Muslim who plants a tree gains a reward of giving in charity. What is eaten from it is charity, what is stolen from it, what the animals eat and what the birds eat, is all charity. Anyone or anything that takes from it earns for the planter the reward of (giving in) charity.”
- Therefore, humans must take care of all aspects of the environment in which they are created as a duty to God – so we should try actively to save the environment because it too is an act of worship. They too are created for a purpose.